The Future Greenhouse 2007

The Future Greenhouse 2007

Nasturiums

Nasturiums

Monday, January 28, 2008

Button, Button, Whose got the Button?

As a child, sometimes on rainy days when my mother was sewing, she would let me play in her button box. It was fun to look for unusual buttons such as the little tiny buttons off of baby clothes or buttons with rhinestones from fancy dresses. I would make up games such as trying to see how many of the same kind of button I could find. Her button box was a big tin with a lid that clamped down tight and was hard to open. You could bury your hands in the buttons and come up with big fistfuls of them. Whenever a piece of clothing was headed to the rag bag, Mom would wring the buttons off and throw them in the tin. One of the things that I really wanted when she died was her button box. There is absolutely no value in it except for the button memories; one from my graduation dress, a maternity dress, my daughter's baby dress and once in a while when I dig really deep down, I will find something like one of my daughter's old diaper pins. I don't think a lot of modern women still have a surplus of buttons but you never know when you might need one, right?

No comments:

My Very Own Stone Henge

My Very Own Stone Henge